HISTORY OF AWC

Roots
  • 1930- Mary Magee began having  cottage prayer meetings in her home and the homes of other ladies. 

  • Sunday services were eventually held in the home of Minnie Schlottman, in a rented hall on Genesee St and a room in the Livingston Hotel. The group was known as the Avon Prayer Band.

  • 1938- a wood building was purchased at 70 West Main St and became known as The People’s Tabernacle.

 

History

  • 1941-1950  Rev. Bertha Ketch was the pastor.

  •  July 19, 1944-  The church became officially organized as the Wesleyan Methodist Church with four charter members who were: Mary Magee, Alex Watson, Elida Jaggard and Marion Clements.

  • 1950-1953   Rev. Philip J. Birchall served as pastor and Rev. Charles Messick from 1953 -1958.

 

  • 1958-1965  Rev. Stanley Lawrence had a vision to build a church on the corner of Genesee Street and Pine View Heights. The lot was purchased and a two story building with sanctuary, fellowship hall, and Christian education space was constructed for under $62,000.

 

  • 1965-1980  Under the supervision of Rev. Roy Straub a new parsonage was constructed at 7 Pineview Heights.

  • 1968- The church was changed from the Avon Wesleyan Methodist Church to the Avon Wesleyan Church.

  • 1976- The second building phase included turning the sanctuary around 180 degrees and constructing fellowship, kitchen and restroom space in the basement, and foyer, nursery, office, restroom and prayer room space on the main floor.  The original basement was turned into classrooms. 

 

  • 1980-1985  Under Rev. Edwin Roloson  the church's outreach brought in many new people and for a brief time services were held for the Spanish speaking community.

 

  • 1985-2004  Rev. Gerald Wright, Jr. served as pastor. 
    The second floor of the church was developed to provide 2,000 square feet of classrooms for effective ministries to teens, children, and adults.

 

  • 2004 to 2006 During the time Rev. Bradley Strange pastored the church, the church body grew and we went to 2 worship service times on Sunday morning to accomodate the growth.

 

  • 2006- 2015 Under Rev. Daniel Jones 4 Corners Campus began to be developed.  The Ministry Center and Softball Field were built. 

                                                    

  • 2015-   Rev. Peter Maclauchlan became the lead pastor.  We look forward to what God has ahead for AWC and the people of our community.

© 2019 by Avon Wesleyan Church. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • w-facebook